Delta Airlines has extended the terms of their elite status, which includes a free round-trip ticket, to 2021. This is the second time in three years that Delta has done this.
Delta has given up on 2021, and is extending everyone’s elite status again. All qualifying miles are rolled over.
Delta abandons 2021 and extends everyone’s elite status once again (And Rolls Over All Qualifying Miles)
on July 27, 2021 by Gary Leff
For most of the year, international borders have been closed. A lot of places are still closed. While many businesses will reopen in the autumn, and business travel is slowly improving, the most valuable airline passengers who qualify for elite status on foreign business class flights have been grounded.
Every airline has made measures to address the dwindling number of VIP passengers. United has piled promotion after promotion on top of each other. American Airlines offers programs to gain status with less criteria or a method to earn status without traveling at all. Delta has finally made its move.
Delta has already given all travel a boost toward elite status, as well as making reward flights count. They’re now, more or less, throwing up the towel and declaring 2021 a wash because they don’t want to risk losing elite members who might become valued consumers again.
As a result, if you hold Medallion Status now, you may keep it until January 31, 2023, as well as any Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates you may have. Those who are presently traveling to achieve or maintain Status will be rewarded for their commitment with additional perks and will continue to earn at a faster pace. We’re also extending the opportunity to use Award Travel to achieve Status until December 31, 2022.
- Current elites will retain their rank until the elite year of 2022. (although Platinums and Diamonds do not get new choice benefits)
- Status miles earned this year carry over to the next year, so the miles you’re collecting now will help you qualify for status in 2023.
- Next year, award travel will count toward status, and this innovative service will be in place so leisure passengers can keep spending their miles without losing status — Delta believes this will be required even with the rollovers evident (the current dominant Covid-19 variant is named Delta of course)
- Upgrade certificates have been extended for travel until January 31, 2023, both globally and regionally.
- Extra benefits for earning status this year This one is wonky because it devalues the status of those who are getting extended: members who earned 2022 status rather than having their status extended will clear upgrades ahead of elites at the same tier whose status was extended.
I previously said that, given how simple it is to maintain status for the next year, American Airlines should do more to promote travel. Delta has found out how to achieve exactly that — rollover miles and priority upgrading – at the cost of those who do not requalify. I’d like to see large bonus offers.
(Photo courtesy of W.S.)
More From the Wing’s Perspective
Delta Airlines announced that they were going to cancel the 2021 Delta Medallion status for new members. However, they decided to roll over all qualifying miles and give everyone a one-time elite status again. Reference: delta medallion status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Delta extend elite status?
Delta does not extend elite status.
Will Delta extend status again?
Delta is currently not planning on extending status again.
Does Delta Medallion status rollover?
Yes, Delta Medallion status will rollover.
- how many delta diamond medallion members are there
- delta 2022 medallion status
- delta mqd rollover covid
- delta status
- delta status levels