Marriott is running a new promotion that shows the importance of not transferring your Marriott Points to Chase. The offer offers travelers three nights for free after spending $1,000 in one year.
The “marriott bonvoy transfer bonus” is a new promotion that shows why you shouldn’t transfer your points from Chase.
The New Marriott Points Bonus Demonstrates Why You Shouldn’t Transfer Chase Points
on November 4, 2021 by Gary Leff
Through December 8, Marriott is providing a 45 percent bonus on bought points when you buy at least 2000 points. The promotion is valid until December 15, 2021 for Marriott co-brand cards.
- Purchases of points are made in 1,000-point increments up to 50,000 and 5,000-point increments up to 100,000.
- Purchase up to 100,000 points every calendar year, however bonus points are not included. As a result, you may purchase 100,000 and get 145,000.
- Points do not appear immediately and might take up to 72 hours, which in today’s world seems absurd.
- The bonus applies to both given and paid points.
- They also provide a 10% discount on purchases of 2000 points or more paid with a China UnionPay credit card.
Marriott charges 1.25 cents each point. If you buy 100,000 points for $1250, you’ll receive 140,000 points at $0.0086 each. That’s a little more than a Marriott point is worth in my opinion (I valued Marriott points at $0.007 almost three years ago, and they’re worth a little less today).
With this deal, I would not purchase points on the open market. It may, however, be handy to top up an account for an award you want to book. There are no hidden charges or taxes when purchasing miles from a U.S. airline.
But the point I want to make here is that this offer demonstrates why, even with the present 50% incentive, you should not transfer Chase points to Marriott. Chase points convert to Marriott points in a 1:1 ratio, but with this promotion, you’ll receive 1.5 Marriott points every Chase point.
- Given the value of Marriott points, you’re earning less than a cent per point for your Chase points.
- However, the rationale is that you’ll save money by converting your Chase points to cash and purchasing Marriott points with a bonus rather than transferring Chase points to Marriott.
Take, for example, a Sapphire Reserve card and use points against the card’s annual fee or meal costs to save money. You’ll receive 1.5 cents each point if you do this.
This way, you may save $1250 by redeeming 83,333 Chase points. With this deal, you can purchase 145,000 points for $1250.
Transferring 96,000 Chase points to Marriott with a 50% bonus, on the other hand, nets you 144,000 Marriott points. So you’re putting aside almost 12,500 Chase points in order to get the Marriott points you want.
You’ll break even with this Marriott purchase points incentive if you use a card that pays just 1.25 cents per point from “Pay Yourself Back.” But, unless you’re willing to pay 0.0086 per Marriott point (more than they’re worth), transferring points from Chase isn’t worth it, unless you’re topping up an account for a certain award you know you can book at a specific price (Marriott generally re-prices between off-peak, standard, and peak rates monthly and the cadence of repricing will go up in March with the elimination of award charts).
More From the Wing’s Perspective
The “chase rewards” is a new Marriott Points Bonus. The bonus shows why you shouldn’t transfer points from Chase.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does it make sense to transfer Chase points to Marriott?
A: Chase Ultimate Rewards currently does not allow transfers to other rewards programs. However, in a recent update it was announced that this will be changing soon with the introduction of new point transfer partners and increased flexibility. This could potentially open up opportunities for you to transfer your points across different loyalty programs without having to lose any value from them until they expire.
How long does it take to transfer Chase to Marriott points?
A: Chase banks with Marriott and it takes 3-4 weeks before you can transfer to points.
How long does it take to transfer Marriott points to another person?
A: Its usually about 1-2 weeks for transfers to be made.
- transfer marriott points to chase
- chase ultimate rewards
- chase ultimate rewards to marriott transfer rate
- chase marriott points
- 50% bonus bonvoy